To make the Senior USAT, you need to be ranked using the National Ranking System.
The National Ranking System (NRS) takes into consideration
- National Event Placement Points
- Performance at USA Archery’s National
- Performance at USAT Qualifiers
- International Success Points
- Finishes in World Cups
- Finishes in World Championships
- Finishes in Olympic competition.
In order to receive a national ranking, you must be a US Archery member in good standing. Your ranking will be used to determine:
- Placement on the Senior United States Archery Team (USAT)
- Eligibility to compete for the U.S. in the World Cup series
- Eligibility for USOC athlete support programs
National Event Placement Points
There are three parts to National Event Placement Points
- Qualification Round Placement: USA Archery Members will be ranked based on their final Qualification Round placement after removing any non-USA Archery members. Lower numbers are better.
- Single Arrow Average (SAA) Placement During Elimination Round Matches: USA Archery Members will receive placement points based on their rank of SAA amongst the other USA Archery Members in the competition. An archer’s SAA is literally their single arrow average during elimination round matches for that particular competition not including 1 arrow shoot offs for tie breakers. SAA Values will be rounded to the nearest thousandth, rounding up at .0005 and above. Ties within SAA values will remain when factoring an archer’s SAA Placement. If you shoot an average of 9.8 and everyone else shoots 9.7 or lower, you will occupy first place for SAA Placement. Lower numbers are better.
- Elimination Round Placement: USA Archery members will receive points based on their final Elimination Round placement. Athletes eliminated in the 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 rounds of competition will have their Elimination Round Placement determined by their SAA of the match in which they were eliminated. Lower numbers are better.
These three parts are mixed together in a weighted system to generate a single National Event Placement Point (EPP) score.
|Qualification Round Placement||40%|
|Single Arrow Average Placement||20%|
|Elimination Round Placement||40%|
Which results in this simple formula
(Qualification Round Placement x .40) + (Single Arrow Average Placement x .20) + (Elimination Round Placement x .40)
The formula rewards archers for a high level of performance in all three fundamental components. An archer’s Event Placement Point provides a comprehensive overview of the archer’s performance for a given competition.
International Success Points
Since lower NRS scores are desired, archers that compete internationally can acquire International Success Points which are recorded as negative numbers and then added to your NRS to lower it.
- International Success Points are earned at a World Cup Event, World Archery Championships, or the Olympic Games.
- Only the four most recent Outdoor World Cup Events and World Cup Final will be used for International Success Points.
|Top 4||Top 8|
|Outdoor World Cup Stages||-1.0||-0.5|
|Olympic Games, World Archery Championships, World Cup Final||-2.0||-1.0|
To be part of the USAT Senior team, you need to attend these events:
- U.S. National Target Championships Mandatory Event
- USAT Qualifier Series Events Minimum Of Three Events
- World Cup Stages, World Cup Final, World Archery Championships, or the Olympic Games Optional
Example NRS Score
10th Place – Qualification Round x .40 + 7th Place - Single Arrow Average x .20 + 10th Place - Elimination Round x .40 = (10 * .40) + (7 * .20) + (10 * .40) = (4.00 + 1.40 + 4.00) = 9.40
10th Place – Qualification Round x .40 + 10th Place - Single Arrow Average x .20 + 10th Place - Elimination Round x .40 = (10 * .40) + (10 * .20) + (10 * .40) = (4.00 + 1.20 + 4.00) = 9.20
5th Place – Qualification Round x .40 + 5th Place - Single Arrow Average x .20 + 5th Place - Elimination Round x .40 = (5 * .40) + (5 * .20) + (5 * .40) = (2.00 + 1 + 2.00) = 5.00
3rd Place – Qualification Round x .40 + 3rd Place - Single Arrow Average x .20 + 5th Place - Elimination Round x .40 = (3 * .40) + (3 * .20) + (5 * .40) = (1.2 + .6 + 2.00) = 3.80
Total National Event Placement Points
9.40 + 9.20 + 5.00 + 3.80 = 27.4
International Success Points
Outdoor World Cup Stage finished 3 which is -1.0 points
27.4 + -1.0 = 26.4
So Who Makes the USAT Senior Team
- The final top eight ranked senior archers, per class and division as defined by the NRS system
- The final rankings will be based on the final NRS update which will occur after all USAT Qualifier Series Events and World Cup, World Cup Finals, World Championships, and Olympic Games competition have concluded in a calendar year.